Monday 15 October 2007

Photography - the best way to explore your area?

Ever since I got my Ixus back in 2003, I've been keenly looing for nice things to photograph - itr started off as things, the bus stop in the morning was popular as were the berries on the shrubs that surrounded it. I'd often take shots of the bus as we moved and then of the grave yard as I walked back home after a night in Leeds (I live next to Morley cemetary).

Not long after that I got the 300D on new years eve 2003/4, I instantly went in search of somewhere to use it - Dewsbury!

M62 near Dewsbury, Jan 2006

I'd never been and stopped there, gone round it before, but never had a reason to actually park up and go take a look. I took some shots, had no idea what I was doing, but it was a start.

The point of this post isn't how I developed as a photographer, but what I've seen in that journey. I'm no war photographer and have never really shot junkies jacking up, but I've discovered more of Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cumbria and Northumberland than most people who live there.

Places like the north york moors, pickering, scarborough, staithes and whitby are not on the usual route map of a single 30-something clubber from Leeds! But I've been to them many times. I know virtually every road off the M62 within 30 miles of my house and can often predict what will look good on a night these days. Certain light suits the power stations on the M62, big fluffy clouds will be nice at pontefract racecourse.

Before photography, I know leeds city centre and had been to the centre of most biggish towns only when I needed to.

Now I know them inside out through walking and drivinv in search of something unique, an image that no one else has got, something people pass un-noticed if you like.

So don't think photography is all about walking with your tripod to a well worn spot (looking for the place the last photographer stood), but drive somewhere you've not seen before, think about the scene you're looking at and see if you can create something. In the process you'll get a mental map of your region, you'll know where to go when the weather's a certain way and most of all - you get to explore your local area and become an expert.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I must appreciate your power of expression. It is not only a great guide for photographers but also an excellent travel blog.

e-Shopping Magazine

Anonymous said...

Kewl shot.

ade_mcfade said...

Very kind of you to say :-)

I must be lancashire's answer to Bill Bryson!

Beach Wedding said...

Really a great Photography shot ! You are dead on it .

Beach Wedding said...

Great Portrait ! you are on it