Friday 5 October 2007

The Leeds Project - 4th October


As I mentioned in a previous ramble, I've been asked to get some shots of Leeds with a contrast, so I thought that the light/box area was ideal as it's next to the cathedral.

So I got this shot when out with Dave last night.

I was after a really contemporary look, so used a 17mm lens wide open to get the most modern car there in as foreground - the mini may now be german, but it looks quite cool.

It's a shot of 3 exposures, each 2 stops apart. Then combined in PHOTOMATIX to make a HDR file, then tone mapped and I did a little medding in Photoshop to get the mono look.

Since I've discovered batch processing of HDR's in photomatix, I've started to do more and more of it as it takes a lot of the donkey work out of the task.

Last night I did around 100 HDR shots, that's 300 exposures. If I did those by hand, I'd still be here next friday - but the batch went off and created the 100 HDR files and 100 "average" jpg files (for preview purposes - I bin then if they're rubbish).

Also, I've started doing just 3 shots using Auto Exposure Bracketing on my 5D - that means you don't have to dial in any settings between shots, just click your cable release 3 times and move on.

All this makes what was a painful novelty into a realistic and speedy way of getting a good result.

I also went to Brimham Rocks yesterday - using grad filters there is a no-no cause you get black topped rocks. HDR there is perfect and I'd recommend you try if if yo're ever up there.

No comments: