Thursday 15 November 2007

A photo book on Leeds....

Just stumbled up on a site called http://www.blurb.com/ which seems to do very nice books. I've seen similar ones on Photobox, but they don't look as professional - the paper in them is quite thin and you really don't get that lovely glosy finish to them.

Anyway, the thought of actually authoring a book... it's a little daunting, but I think for this one I'll probably let the pictures do the talking.

I've had a search around for Leeds and there doesn't seem to be that many of them out there. there's the usual stack of books with "Leeds from the air", or Leeds in 1890, but nothing really spelling out what's there today. I've been on a mission to get as many shots of the place as possible, using HDR as well as traditional, so I think I may have a reasonable original pile of photos to go at.

I've just got 95 useable shots, and have hundreds more to revisit - and a few days off work to go compile some more - just watch, it'll be dark and horrible tomorrow!

I'm pitching at the luxury end for starters - they aint cheap, £40 to get 1 printed etc. But I want something nice for my self and to show off to mates, so it's a present, if anything else comes from it, then I'll be happy. If it really takes off, there are bulk discounts.

Then again, I may get pissed off with the software that the site provide and just give up... or maybe I should really write it in Adobe Acrobat format so I can print it anywhere...

who knows, just quite exciting thinking of having a book with my name on it!

3 comments:

John Conners said...

Sounds like a great idea!

Do yourself a favour though... Buy a Mac, the software that comes with one can produce amazing photo books - really!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how far you have come with this book, and it is actually available for publishing? I think its great. Also, I thought that I might let you know that I am studying you in a Photography class and was wondering if it would be possible to use you as my photographer to write a paper on, and do a presentation of some of your works. Your work has really inspired me, and has made me want to look for the actual beauty in things that I see every day, rather than just passing by, and completely missing the beauty. So in a sense I would like to say thank you.

ade_mcfade said...

Cheers - it's fantastic to know that I've inspired people. It's not that long ago that I was saying the exact same thing to people!

I'd be honoured to be part of your paper - please email at ade_mcfade@yahoo.com and let me know what you need

cheers

ade