Tuesday 20 November 2007

Bowland Fresh - A calendar Project

It's late november 2007 and I've just been asked by one of my best friends if I can pull together a set of around 40 shots for a calendar to promote his milk marketing business.


It's an honour of course, he's bought shots off me before to decorate the office, but we had time to choose those and I went out on several shoots to get the right shots. This one's requires shots appropriate to each month, killer shots that you'd want to adorne the walls of farm houses throughout Lancashire.


The thing is, I go to lancashire to see family and get drunk, not to take lovely shots - so most of them are of my brother looking bog eyed, dad pouring wine, John Conners doing Keepy-uppies with a foot ball or some calves licking my hand.


So I've been looking through the archives and there's a few of the shots in contention from the last 2 years. It's not easy - I've kinda got to a look and style that I want to promote with my lakes and yorkshire shots, but I've never really had time or the inclination (or the weather to be fair) to follow my usual techniques.



It's a tricky one really, the shots around Malham are right up there with my best, there's a fantastic wintery shot of the Tarn that would do for a winter month, but they're in Craven, not Bowland. Sounds a bit like Middle Earth really :-)



So these shots, are they giving that rural dairy feel?

Would you go for more cows?

Or maybe more recogniseable land marks?


It's a tricky set to get right - and with a day job that you get to in the dark and leave in the dark, there's no chance to go and get more shots.


Ah well - hopefully I'll get the 12 killers that I need, and the rest can fill in the gaps!

Thing is, this is far far more interesting than the day job... if I could only pay that mortgage doing it :-)

1 comment:

John Conners said...

Some lovely rural shots there which work very nicely. I reckon since it's a milk business though you can't avoid the cliche of some shots of cattle. I'm assuming you don't have any shots of a milking shed though!